Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Dear old Alamo!
With confetti in our hair,
We remember you.


The boys and I have been practicing the art of Japanese Haiku. Because the basic concept of Haiku is easy to grasp yet difficult to master, I thought this would be good brain exercise for us. Jonathan and David would much rather spend hours writing Haiku about Werewolves and Star Wars, but I read in the paper that they are looking for entries of Haiku in honour of Fiesta. This is the boys' entry, with only a tiny bit of help from me. I guess this home- teachin' pays off every once in a while!

*So, who wants to answer w/ a Haiku of their own? Come on, YOU are not being graded!

22 comments:

Granny said...

Granny is SOOOO smiling ear to ear over this! Three cheers and a handful of confetti to Jonathan and David!

Granny said...

for my grandchildren :-)

stampede of small feet
beating a path to my lap
hugs from tiny hands

Anne said...

confused
never understanding this artform
proud to be american

Granny said...

C plus for effort
poetically challenged one
room for improvement

Kristen said...

no one can spell 'haiku'
brings to mind an erstwhile monkey
hurts my brain

Candace/Chloe said...

It wasn't until highschool that I learned what a haiku poem was, but once I did, I LOVED trying to figure out the 5-7-5 syllable sentences. Here's the only one I can remember from 10th grade:

The lake's a mirror
When I look into the lake
I see reflections

Cheesy, I know! Hey, at least I LEARNED what a haiku was, right?

Tami said...

girls full of giggles
laughing, dancing, twittering
boys confused by noise

Candace/Chloe said...

Okay, here are my haikus based upon my one and only experience with Fiesta:

Fearful and weary
A view from Santa Rosa
Lord, make this NOISE end

OR

Exhausted we are
Music outside is blaring
Trapped in this prison

You don't sense any bitterness in these, do you? ;-)

Granny said...

Kristen, 6-8-3 does not count. You and Annie are now required to register for remedial poetry in summer school.

Sheesh.

Kristen said...

I think outside the box. In fact, I hate the box. And I prefer Lord Byron or Yeats anyway. They make sense to me.

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

So impressed with you
to teach young boys about it
this thing called "haiku"


Fun Fun, enough said
was this great challenge you gave
parents of home schooled!

dirksgirl said...

wow, some of you ladies have it down...and some of you have some interesting Haiku-ISH poems :)

Anonymous said...

Kristen and Annie
Not so good with syllables
Poor Dave and Caleb

sis said...

everyone, even dirk
knows i am smarter than yall
you silly people

Anne said...

mom, your "c plus for effort" is disqualified, as the second line has 8 syllables.

Granny said...

Oh yeah, Annie? Do you say "po-e-ti-CULL-y"? I don't, so I wrote it the way I say it. And I'm THE GRANNY. ;-)

T2Irish said...

"shut your big fat mouth
these men would die without us
we roaring women" posted by Kristen clearly wins the prize. Mainly because she is such a fast learner.

Kristen said...

What can I say? I be house-teached. But I don't remember "Haiku day", while I still have scars from "sonnet week". We won't bring that up right now.

Tami said...

You guys are so funny.

And "Granny," everytime Lauryn sees this picture of you with Carrie climbing on you, she says, "Oh, me!" I canNOT seem to convince her that Carrie is not her.

Anne said...

silly haiku words
never taught me anything
give me mother goose

and yes, mom. i DO pronounce all syllables of 'poetically'. please revise.

Granny said...

While Granny refuses to revise and extend her remarks regarding the aforementioned pronunciation of "poetically," which she still maintains is over the top, she nevertheless commends Daughter #3 for a very acceptable haiku and now assigns a grade of A-/C-, in which the first grade is given for form and the second for content (including attitude, in which this submission seems to abound, but not necessarily positively.) Good work, Annie, you'll go far!

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

ya know I forgot to use a season word in mine so they are not true haiku's, but as for the the syllable delimma refer to this:

"Haiku-poems consist of respectively 5, 7 and 5 syllables in three units. In japanese, this convention is a must, but in english, which has variation in the length of syllables, this can sometimes be difficult."

So, the difference in the way you pronounce words doesn't mean anyone is necessarily right or wrong. You may quit bickering now!